Virginia and Maryland

Fort Myer, Virginia – The principal military post near Washington. Giesborough Point on Potomac – In the early days land fronting on either bank of the Eastern Branch was considered very valuable. Giesborough Manor occupied the land opposite Greenleaf Point, now Arsenal Point. This old manor house was noted for its hospitality, and was Standing until 1888 when the central portion was destroyed by fire. Large brick house just below Giesborough on river bank was built by Ignatius Fenwick Young. Marshall Hall, on East bank of Potomac – Built in 1700 by Joshua Marshall. Home of Thomas Marshall, Surgeon General […]

Virginia and Maryland Read More »

North East Section District of Columbia

Union Station Plaza, N. E. – Statue of Christopher Columbus, by Lorado Taft. A St., just East of s. e. corner of 1St and A Sts., N. E.- Second Tunnicliffe Tavern. – In 1794 Mr. Tunnicliffe, proprietor of the Eastern Branch Hotel, with George Walker erected a hotel on this site, called Washington City Hotel, management of Tunnicliffe 1794-1804. East Capitol St., north side, East of 1St St., N. E. – Rev. George Ralph, rector of Christ Episcopal Church, purchased for $2,400, from the Commissioners, a house located here, occupied by Mr. Hallett, where he opened in 1795 a day

North East Section District of Columbia Read More »

Memorial Continental Hall

Pennsylvania Avenue and The Malls District of Columbia

Penna. Ave. and 1St St., N. W. – Peace Monument (or Naval Monument), “in memory of officers, seamen and marines of the U. S. Navy” in Civil War; by F. Simmons. Penna. Ave and 1St., N. W. – In Botanical Garden, Statue of Gen. Grant, by Henry M. Shrady. Penna. Ave., N. W. corner 2nd St., N. W. – First site of Baltimore and Ohio Ry. Station called Washington Branch Depot. Formally opened August 25, 1835 with locomotive Arabianis drawing cars. Two trains ran per day. Ticket office surmounted by belfry and bell rang ten minutes before train time. Penna.

Pennsylvania Avenue and The Malls District of Columbia Read More »

Sons of The Revolution – Society of The District of Columbia, Membership Roll, May 1891

Society of The District of Columbia, Membership Roll, May 1891 Officers President: Hon. John Lee Carroll. Vice-President: Rear-Admiral Francis Asbury Roe, U. S. Navy. Board of Managers: Lewis Johnson Davis; Major Clarence Edward Dutton, U. S. Army; Rear-Admiral Samuel Rhoads Franklin, U. S. Navy; Commodore James Augustin Greer, U. S. Navy; Frank Warren Hackett; Archibald Hopkins; Brigadier-General William Beatty Rochester, U. S. Army; Capt. Daniel Morgan Taylor, U. S. Army; Secretary: Charles Worthington, 1409 L Street. Treasurer: Alexander Brown Legare, 1726 I Street. Registrar and Historian: Gaillard Hunt, 1466 Rhode Island Avenue. Chaplain: Rev. George William Douglas, D. D. Membership

Sons of The Revolution – Society of The District of Columbia, Membership Roll, May 1891 Read More »

South East Section District of Columbia

Anacostia – Appears on oldest map of Captain John Smith in 1612. Indian name, “Nacotchtank.” Henry Fleet, captured by Indians, called it Nacostine – “Great Town for Traders.” Anacostia – Barry Farm, now Hillsdale -Owned by James Barry, who held much property both sides of the Eastern Branch. He was first president of the City Council Chamber. Died in 1807. In 1868 farm purchased by Freedmen’s Bureau for freed slaves. Anacostia – John Howard Payne, author of “Home Sweet Home” lived here. Also Frederick Douglas (colored) Minister to Haiti. Eastern Branch – Now called Anacostia River. Quoting Winchester’s “Early Wash-ington:”

South East Section District of Columbia Read More »

South West Section District of Columbia

South West Washington’s shipping section was part of the holding of Notley Young. Water St. (East and west sides between U and V Sts.) S. W. – George Washington acquired here in 1793 in what was “Carrollsburg Section” about six lots of land as above Stated. At that time this part of city was believed to be the coming maritime port of Washington. Greenleaf’s Point, S. W. – Greenleaf ‘s Point at junction of Potomac and Eastern Branch. Beginning of the present arsenal military depot established by the government under M. Villard, a Frenchman, friend of Lafayette. Charles Carroll, Jr.,

South West Section District of Columbia Read More »

Tomb of Maj. L'Enfant at Arlington

Suburban District of Columbia

Woodley Road, N. W. – “Twin Oaks.” Former home of the late Hon. Gardner C. Hubbard, President of the National Geographic Society.Woodley Road, N. W. – “Woodley.” Planned to conform to “Old Bachelor’s Home” in Mrs. Gaskill’s “Crawford.” Judge Philip Barton Key, uncle of Francis Scott Key, and who married the sister of Mrs. Uriah Forrest, lived here. Presidents Van Buren, Tyler and Buchanan summered here, as did later the Clevelands. Standing.35th St. and Woodley Road – “Beauvoir.” Former residence of Newton D. Baker, Secretary of War. Site of summer home of Admiral George Dewey.3501 Newark St., N. W. –

Suburban District of Columbia Read More »

Cottage of David Burnes, Original Proprietor

First Street – Twentieth Street District of Columbia

1207 1St St., N. W. – One of the houses erected in the early forties Still Standing. Erected and occupied by William Bates. Now used by Central Union Mission (Children’s Emergency Home). 219 3rd St., N. W. – Home of Franklin Pierce, Jonathan Cilley, James Mason and Robert C. Winthrop, while members of Congress. 226 3rd St., N. W. – Here resided President Fillmore while a member of Congress. 5th St., between D and E Sts., N. W. – Now Columbian Building. Here, in the Trinity Episcopal Church edifice, the first meetings of the First Congregational Church were held in

First Street – Twentieth Street District of Columbia Read More »

Georgetown District of Columbia

Georgetown – (Tohogare; Indiantown). First designated as town in 1751. Incorporated as city in 1789. Existed as town and city for 120 years, under three Sovereigns of Great Britain, then State of Maryland, and then United States in D. C. Charter repealed in 1871, and Georgetown declared belonging to, and under, the municipal government of the District. Even in Colonial days a town of wealth, culture and commercial importance. Took active part in French and Indian War. During Revolution shops here manufactured guns and ammunition, and warehouses Stored army supplies. The Committee of Safety re-fused to permit taxed tea to

Georgetown District of Columbia Read More »

Laying of Cornerstone of Capitol

Historical Dictionary of District of Columbia

The first mention of the upper Potomac and its environs to Indian Head, 30 miles south of Washington, is made by Captain John Smith exploring from the Jamestown Settlement in Virginia 1608. In 1634 Henry Fleet who was taken captive by Indians, visited the falls of the Potomac. In 1633 a tract of land (400 acres) called “Rome” was laid out for Francis Pope, Gentleman: the Capitol is said to be on this land. In 1790 the region in which the city of Washington was to be built was in the form of large farm tracts, covered with woods and

Historical Dictionary of District of Columbia Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top