South West Washington’s shipping section was part of the holding of Notley Young.
Water St. (East and west sides between U and V Sts.) S. W. – George Washington acquired here in 1793 in what was “Carrollsburg Section” about six lots of land as above Stated. At that time this part of city was believed to be the coming maritime port of Washington.
Greenleaf’s Point, S. W. – Greenleaf ‘s Point at junction of Potomac and Eastern Branch. Beginning of the present arsenal military depot established by the government under M. Villard, a Frenchman, friend of Lafayette. Charles Carroll, Jr., father of Daniel Carroll, planted here the settlement of Carrollsburg.
Washington Barracks. – Foot of 4½ St. S. W. – This was the site of an Indian Council camp afterwards an arsenal. Now Army War College and Engineering School located here.
N St. S. W. Greenleaf s Point – From here ran an old canal to Eastern Branch connecting Potomac and Anacostia Rivers. It appears on map of Major L’Enfant of 1791.
6th St. at Greenleaf’s Point, S. W. – Mark Ward’s Tavern near Morris’ and Nicholson’s Wharf. Passage engaged here on packet sailing from this wharf between Georgetown, Greenleaf’s Point and Alexandria.
South Capitol between M and N Sts, S. W. (Sq 651) – ”Twenty Buildings” constructed here by Greenleaf, Law et al in 1796 Started large development in this part of the city. Houses never completely finished. First Methodist Society met in one of these in 1802.
1313-1321 4½ St., S. W. – “Wheat Row.” The first row of houses built in the Federal City in 1793. Robert Morris financier of the American Revolution, John Nicholson, Comptroller General of Pennsylvania, and James Greenleaf former American Consul at Amsterdam and a native of Boston, came to Washington and formed a real estate syndicate. These gentlemen with Thomas Law and Daniel Carroll of Duddington engaged to build houses in preparation for the government when it came to Washington in 1800. Bricks used in these houses from kilns of David Carroll. “Neighborhood house” 470 N. St, S. W., one of the early houses in this square, also built by this syndicate.
468 N St., S. W. – Once occupied by Judge Cranch of District Circuit Court.
470 N. St., S. W. – Once residence of Captain Wm. Mayne Duncanson.
O and P Sts. 4½ and Water Sts., S. W. – Here was Rodgers Row, where Commodore John Rodgers lived in 1830 before moving to Lafayette sq. in 1831. Commodore Rodgers was president of the Navy Com-mission. In 1819 Mayor Benj. G. Orr resided in this block.
1252 6th St. S. W. – In 1795 the home of the talented Thomas Law. Mr. Law who was a son of the Lord Bishop of Carlisle and a brother of Baron Ellenborough had formerly held high office in East India. He came to America in 1794 and later invested his fortune in property and improvements in the new city of Washington. His wife was Elizabeth Parke Custis, granddaughter of Mrs. Washington. He later moved to N. J. Ave and C St., S. E.
P St., N. E. cor ½ St., S. W., in Carrollsburg – Site of St. Mary’s (or Barry) Chapel, Catholic. Built by James Barry in 1806. The Cornerstone now owned by St. Dominic’s. Mrs. Barry left $2,000 to improve Chapel and $3,000 for a school nearby.
South Capitol and K Sts., N. W., corner, S. W. – Old building formerly known as the “Priests’ House” Still Stands, built by Captain James Barry and occupied by the priests who officiated at Barry Chapel.
South Capitol and B Sts. (southwest corner) , S. W. – Here Stood first building of First Presbyterian Church Society called “Little White Church under the Hill.”
Maryland Ave and 1St St., S. W. – Statue of President James A. Garfield, by J. Q. A. Ward.
Maryland Ave., between 8th and 9th Sts, S. W. – House built by Wm. A. Bradley, Mayor of city, later used by Sisters of Charity, St. Dominic’s Church.
Maryland Ave. and 12th St. (S. E. corner), S. W. – Site of home of Robert Brent, first Mayor of Washington 1802-1812, appointed by President Jefferson; married, Mary, daughter of Notley Young.
Maryland Ave., south side between 13th and 13½ Sts., S. W. (now railroad tracks). – House of Peter Lenox in 1817. He was Master Carpenter at the Capitol, and father of Walter Lenox, mayor about 1850. This house became home of Col. V. B. Randolph in 1840, who lived there for many years. Mrs. Randolph was a daughter of General James Lingan, one of the “original proprietors.” Col. Randolph was Inspector-General of the Dist. and Chief Clerk of the Treasury for many years.
G St. between 9th and 10th S. W. – Site of Mansion House of Notley Young one of the “original proprietors” of Washington. Here was entertained Major L’Enfant many times; intimate friend of the family. Demolished in 1856.
14th and 15th Sts., between C and D Sts, S. W. – Site of residence of Ann Young Casanave, wife of Peter Casanave, Spanish-merchant of Georgetown. Occupied by her until after his death in 1812. Then residence of Major Parke Howie,
Maryland Ave. and 14th St., S. W. – John Smith’s Tavern, later known as “Farmers’ and Drivers’ Rest,” popular Stopping place for bridge travel, once located here.
926 G St., S. W. – Alexander R. Shepherd, Governor of the D. C. was born in this house.
13th and C Sts., S. E. cor., S. W. – Early home of Mrs. Emma D. N. N. Southworth.
G St. corner 8th St. S. W. – W. H. English who ran for Vice-President of the U. S. lived here.
G St. next to corner of 8th St., S. W. – Home of Crosby S. Noyes, late editor of the “Star.”
Foot of 14th St., S. W., Long Bridge- Erected in President Jackson’s time. This bridge was the connecting link between Washing-ton and the training camps to the south during the Civil War.
West side of 14th St. between C and E, S.W. – Bureau of Engraving and Printing.
Notes About Book:
Book Source: Historical Directory of the District of Columbia, District Of Columbia, D. A. R.
Notes about Online Publication: This manuscript has been ocr’d and edited. These records have been reproduced as clearly as online publication will allow us, but not all are exactly the way they were in the original work. The structure of this manuscript has been changed to allow better online presentation. No Spelling changes have been made to names.