Fort Myer, Virginia – The principal military post near Washington.
Giesborough Point on Potomac – In the early days land fronting on either bank of the Eastern Branch was considered very valuable. Giesborough Manor occupied the land opposite Greenleaf Point, now Arsenal Point. This old manor house was noted for its hospitality, and was Standing until 1888 when the central portion was destroyed by fire. Large brick house just below Giesborough on river bank was built by Ignatius Fenwick Young.
Marshall Hall, on East bank of Potomac – Built in 1700 by Joshua Marshall. Home of Thomas Marshall, Surgeon General during the Revolutionary War; also served in the War of 1812, where he lost his eye-sight.
Fort Washington, Maryland – On the Potomac River, opposite Mt. Vernon at Digges Point. Formerly called Fort Warburton. In 1808 this point, a fortified place of defense, with garrison of 120 men. Fortifications blown up and abandoned in advance of British on Capital in 1814. Major L’Enfant put in charge of reconstruction in 1815.
Broad Creek Church (St. John’s) – Situated 6 miles south of Congress Heights, in Prince George’s County, Md., near Indian Queen Point on the Potomac. Pulpit installed here in 1915 by D. C, D. A. R.
Bladensburg, Md. – Four miles northeast of Washington, on the Baltimore Turnpike. In the early days the Eastern Branch of the Potomac was navigable to this point for vessels of the largest class, and it became an important shipping port for tobacco. It was founded in 1750, and named after Martin Bladen. Here Stephen Decatur was mortally wounded in a duel with James Barron; and here Attorney General William Wirt was born, and received his early education. Scene of Joshua Barney’s Stand, August 24, 1814.
Hyattsville, Maryland – On the outskirts is the old Calvert estate, built by Henry Stirr, father of Mrs. George Calvert. The pillars supporting the roof were originally made for the Capitol, proved to be too short, and were sold to Mr. Stirr. Here Henry Clay drafted the Missouri Compromise Bill. On the Calvert estate is the old octagon barn.
Alexandria, Va. – City southwest of Washington, founded in 1748 – Originally called Bellhaven. In 1755 five Colonial Governors met here in connection with expedition of Gen. Braddock which Started here. During Revolution it was of greatest Strategic importance. Here is Christ Church, erected in 1773 and the Masonic Lodge of which Washington was Worshipful Master, and many historic houses.
Alexandria, Va. – Jones’ Point on the Potomac – Site of Old Fort Columbia, a fortification of wood and earthwork mounting heavy guns including some cannon left by Braddock’s Army in 1755, too cumbrous to carry over mountains. First attempt by Government to guard National Capital. Demolished 1798.
Alexandria, Va. – North Fairfax St. – Carlyle House built by John Carlyle in 1745 upon Stone fort erected by early settlers. Here Gen. Braddock held his councils of war against the French and Indians. Here Washington received Commission as Major in the British Army in 1755.
Alexandria, Va. – Duke St. and St. Asaph St., S. W. cor. – House in which Lafayette was entertained in 1824.
King’s Highway, Va., Alexandria to Fredericksburg – On or near this highway, with-in 18 miles of Washington, may be visited Mt. Vernon, Epsewasson, Washington’s old mill; Woodlawn, home of Nellie Custis Lewis; Belvoir, on west bank of Potomac, site of home of Lord Fairfax, friend and advisor of Washington; Accotink; and Gunston Hall, (also on the Potomac), home of George Mason, author of Bill of Rights.
Mount Vernon, Va. – On the west bank of the Potomac, 16 miles south of Washington. The last home and burial place of George Washington. See Guide Book.
Fairfax Court House – Situated 8 miles from Falls Church, Va., and built in 1800. Here is kept the original will of George Washington.
Pohick, Va. – Pohick Church six miles from Mt. Vernon. Erected 1772 from plans furnished by Washington who was a vestry-man here.
Fredericksburg, Va. – Historic town, 60 miles from Capital, associated with life of George Washington. Here Stands house of Mary Washington, his mother, and the famous monument erected to her by the women of America is nearby. Washington began his education under “Master Hobby,” at Falmouth, just across the Rappahannock River. The Rising Sun Tavern where the Peace Ball was given in 1781 on the return of Gen. Washington from Yorktown, is Still extant. Also the house of Mary Washington Lewis. Other historic spots are – home of Admiral John Paul Jones (marked by the D. A. R); Pres. Monroe’s law office; site of house of Commodore Mathew F. Maury (marked by U. D. C.; and Exchange Hotel (now Maury House) where in 1842 Charles Dickens Stopped. Many hard fought battles of the Civil War were in this vicinity and at the National Cemetery here there are buried 15,000 soldiers, both wearers of the blue and of the gray.
Notes About Book:
Book Source: Historical Directory of the District of Columbia, District Of Columbia, D. A. R.
Notes about Online Publication: This manuscript has been ocr’d and edited. These records have been reproduced as clearly as online publication will allow us, but not all are exactly the way they were in the original work. The structure of this manuscript has been changed to allow better online presentation. No Spelling changes have been made to names.