History

Laying of Cornerstone of Capitol

Historical Dictionary of District of Columbia

The first mention of the upper Potomac and its environs to Indian Head, 30 miles south of Washington, is made by Captain John Smith exploring from the Jamestown Settlement in Virginia 1608. In 1634 Henry Fleet who was taken captive by Indians, visited the falls of the Potomac. In 1633 a tract of land (400 acres) called “Rome” was laid out for Francis Pope, Gentleman: the Capitol is said to be on this land. In 1790 the region in which the city of Washington was to be built was in the form of large farm tracts, covered with woods and …

Historical Dictionary of District of Columbia Read More »

Boundary Monuments District of Columbia

South Cornerstone – The first one set (April 15, 1791), at Jones Point Light-house on Potomac River, below Alexandria, Va. Protected by D. C, D. A. R. care of State Historic Committee. Miles 1- S. W. Line- Near 1200 Wilkes St., Alexandria, Va. Mt. Vernon Chapter, Va. D. A. R. of Alexandria, Va. Miles 2 – S. W. Line – Near jet. Leesburg Pike and D. C. road, Alexandria, Va. Mt. Vernon Chapter, Va. D. A. R. Miles 3- S. W. Line- South of Leesburg Pike, Va. (Cunningham farm). American Liberty Chapter, D. C, D. A. R. Miles 4 – …

Boundary Monuments District of Columbia Read More »

C Street thru H Street District of Columbia

Square bound by D and E Sts – 25th and 26th Sts, N. VV. – This plot bequeathed by George Washington to grandson of Mrs. Washing-ton, Col. G. W. Parke Custis. 302 C St., N. W. – Formerly home of John W. Maury, Mayor of Washington in 1852-3, and president of National Metropolitan Bank. 308 C St., N. W. – Built by Henry Weightman, brother of Gen. Roger C. Weightman. Owned and occupied by Francis Scott Key (author of the “Star Spangled Banner”), for a time before 1843. Sold, after his death, to John A. Smith, for twenty years Clerk …

C Street thru H Street District of Columbia Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top